Tuesday 27 March 2012

Woolly Chic beginnings



About two years ago I learnt how to crochet and fell in love with wool.  I discovered that the things you could make with wool were endless and so now, have always got two or more projects on the go, with many more ideas in my head.

The trouble was, though, that I found that it was really difficult to buy British Wool and that wool on the whole was really expensive.  I couldn't understand why this was, when the UK has so many sheep farms.  In fact, my Aunt, Uncle and Cousin are farmers in Wales and have a lovely flock of Ryland and Dorset sheep.

This planted the seed of an idea in my mind - Could I get my own wool made using the fleece from my family's sheep and set up a business selling British Wool?  After some research, Woolly Chic - "make something chic and unique with British Wool" was created.

Nineteen lambs were shorn in January, their fleece sent to the Natural Fibre Company in Cornwall and washed, processed and dyed and made into 360 balls of wool in three colours - Natural, Raspberry and Purple.  The wool arrived today!

There is still loads to do, mainly finishing the web site www.woollychicdesigns.co.uk in order to sell the wool online.  I also would like to write some crochet patterns and sell some crochet kits using the Woolly Chic wool.

I would like to thank my family, my Mum for showing me how to crochet and knit, my Aunt, Uncle and Cousin for having such lovely sheep and my friends for supporting this woolly venture (especially Sam, who helped design the Woolly Chic logo).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment